New Medicare Card: Get Paid January 1, 2020 – Use MBIs Now
Friday, November 22, 2019 2:38 PM
Do not wait. Update your patients' records and use Medicare Beneficiary identifiers (MBIs) now, before you are busy with other patient insurance changes in January.
CMS encourages people with Medicare to carry their cards with them since they removed the Social Security Number-based number; if your patients do not bring their Medicare cards with them:
- Give them the "Get Your New Medicare Card" flyer in English (or Spanish).
- Use your Medicare Administrative Contractor’s look-up tool. Sign up for the Portal to use the tool.
- Check the remittance advice. Until December 2019, CMS will return the MBI on the remittance advice for every claim with a valid and active Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN).
Starting January 1, you must use MBIs to bill Medicare regardless of the date of service:
- CMS will reject claims submitted with HICNs with a few exceptions
- CMS will reject all eligibility transactions submitted with HICNs
See the MLN Matters Article for answers to your questions on using MBIs.